We’re seeking experienced breaking news editors to work at NBC News Digital in New York and in Los Angeles.
In this position, you will work with a team of breaking news reporters on an afternoon, evening or weekend shift. The role of the team is to cover a wide variety of breaking news stories as they happen — including natural disasters, crime, lawsuits, cultural events, celebrity news, science developments and health studies, business news, and viral social media posts. (Politics stories will be handled by a separate team.)
As the editor on the shift, you’ll have to make quick judgments on which events to cover and how to cover them. You’ll supervise the reporters on the team to write these stories quickly, provide headlines and social media guidance, and write breaking alerts to go with them. Once an initial story is published, you’ll oversee it as it continues to be updated, vetting reporting thoroughly along the way. You’ll make sure that the stories you’re editing have the best photos, videos and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
You will work with the other editors on News Digital, including our enterprise desk and our politics team, and will report to the lead breaking news editor.
To qualify for the job, you’ll have a proven track record of working on and preferably leading a breaking news team at a major newspaper or website. You will thrive on reacting instantly and responsibly to breaking news, ensuring both speed and accuracy, clarity and fairness. As an NBC News editor you will be obsessive about keeping NBC News competitive on major news stories and reporting news first, thriving on the challenge as a team player who never loses your cool.
- Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens.
- Expertise writing and editing SEO, social and cover headlines.
- Editing and writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines and photo and video captions.
- Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 4+ years working in a newsroom environment that puts a priority on breaking news, with demonstrated experience assigning, writing and editing news stories.
• 2+ years editing breaking news.
• 2+ years working in a digital shop.
• Willingness to work on an afternoon, evening, night or weekend shift in either New York or Los Angeles.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication skills.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.