Good Fruit Grower, the tree fruit industry’s essential resource for news and educational information, is seeking an energetic and proactive journalist for a full-time position as a writer/copy editor.
This position will report directly to the editor to manage online content and social media platforms and assist with writing and copy editing material for the print magazine.
In addition to excellent writing and copy editing skills, the position requires an ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Write and copy edit articles for print and online, responding to breaking news as needed.
- Copy edit print and online content for AP style and magazine’s style guide.
- Manage posts to social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn in cooperation with the magazine’s digital producer.
- Produce and manage distribution of a weekly electronic newsletter.
Secondary duties (as needed):
- Assist with magazine’s online Spanish content and electronic newsletter.
- Assist with design of print magazine pages and support marketing campaigns.
• Excellent writing and editing skills; strong news judgment.
• A passion for the magazine’s mission to convey educational information to the grower community.
• Experience updating and managing online content through a content management system.
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as journalism or communications.
Additional desired skills:
• Spanish fluency.
• Design skills, particularly with Adobe’s InDesign program and other applications in its design suite.
• Familiarity with the fruit industry, particularly in the magazine’s key coverage areas — Washington state, Michigan, New York and Pennsylvania.
The magazine is based in Yakima, Washington; the successful candidate must be located in one of the magazine’s key coverage areas, but that location may be negotiable depending on skills and experience.
About Good Fruit Grower:
Established in 1946, Good Fruit Grower is nationally and internationally recognized for its in-depth coverage of industry trends and research for the tree fruit and grape industries. The magazine focuses on the growing, packing, handling, marketing and promotion of apples, pears, cherries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, prunes and plums, as well as juice and wine grape production. Topics include pest and disease control, new technologies, soil science, irrigation, economics, sustainable agriculture and labor and trade issues. The print edition publishes 17 issues per year, with frequent updates expected online and in social media.
Good Fruit Grower staff members are employees of the Washington State Fruit Commission, a state agency that provides competitive salaries and attractive benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates must submit a cover letter outlining their suitability for the position and match for the skills requirements, a resume, and samples of their work or a link to a web page showing their work. Materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates should submit their materials by July 31.