Experience: Minimum of three years’ professional experience as a reporter.
Education: College degree, or equivalent combination of education and/or professional experience.
- The ideal candidate must be skilled at working with financial documents; understanding technology and business strategy, and breaking through PR happy talk.
- Skilled at anticipating events and putting together stories that connect the dots and explain to our readers why these events are important.
- Writing abilities must be sharp and wide-ranging enough to appear regularly on A1, the Business section cover and in other forms online and in print.
- Should possess good digital storytelling skills.
- Familiar with social media and with measuring and interpreting analytics
- Should be comfortable on the other end of the microphone or camera as well, for occasional interviews on news involving the beat.
- Ability to travel.
This position is a temporary, full-time role, scheduled for a 12-month assignment. This role also requires union-mandated dues, as well as a drug screen, criminal background check, and personal car insurance as pre-conditions for employment.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provide readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. Our locally-owned company takes great pride in our impact to the community, as we have for over 120 years. We know this starts with our commitment to our employees, first and foremost. We offer multiple comprehensive health benefit plans for employees (and their families), a 401(k) retirement plan with matching, generous vacation/sick time off, annual wellness benefits, dependent care options, and much more. We continuously strive to provide a work-life harmony that encourages personal and professional growth at a company that breathes deeply held values of quality, independent journalism.