Babe is hiring a News Reporter to join its office in Brooklyn. This is an opportunity to join one of the fastest growing sites in the country and write stories about celebrities and politicians that will get you blocked on Twitter.
The role will include daily news blogging, breaking regular exclusives and assisting the special projects editor with investigative reporting work. We’re looking for someone who is obsessive about getting a story and has a strong track record of breaking exclusives, however serious or trivial the subject matter.
How to apply
To apply, email Amanda Ross (email@example.com) and Joshi Herrmann (firstname.lastname@example.org), latest by June 30, with your résumé and the following things in an email:
• 100 words on why your past experience makes you suitable for this role
• Links to three news stories you have reported
• Two story ideas you would write for babe, either things in the news or stories that haven’t been reported
• Two ideas for babe investigations
Applications close Sunday June 30 at 11:59pm EST although we advise applying as soon as possible.
The position is full time with full benefits and will start in July 2018.
A successful candidate will have:
• EITHER strong experience breaking stories at a digital media organization for over a year OR an exceptional college reporting record
• A first class attitude to work and an obvious ability to take the initiative and solve problems
• A proven knack for breaking scoops, either at professional organizations, a college newspaper or a blog
• Evidence of exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• Experience cultivating a list of sources as part of the news gathering process and a willingness to spend time combing obscure corners of the internet for leads
• A good understanding of babe’s voice and what makes us different
We may try promising candidates on internship trials if they don’t have much experience. Students or candidates who can’t take on a full time position yet should email the babe editors about the possibility of remote writing shifts.
Candidates should also:
• Enjoy a fast-paced newsroom and get excited about bringing large numbers of readers onto the site
• Be comfortable having difficult conversations with people on the phone and in person in order to land stories
• Be happy to take on unglamorous tasks that the editor needs to have done