Colorado Public Radio News is expanding and has a brand new opportunity for a Colorado Springs Regional Reporter. The Regional Reporter develops this geographic beat that is based in Colorado Springs and encompasses southern Colorado. This reporter covers major news developments in the region while also looking for the untold stories that define the place. Reporter will also coordinate with the Denver-based beat reporters - education, environment, government, health, justice, arts and business - to help expand our coverage of those beats in Colorado Springs. They will produce newscast items and in-depth feature reports for radio, digital and social media platforms.
Colorado Public Radio News delivers insightful and impartial news from around the world, across the nation, and throughout Colorado, examining its relevance to our state and connecting it to our community. Listeners rely on CPR as a resource for emerging Colorado stories.
Colorado is a great place to live and work. Known for its sunshine; incredible access to outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, mountain biking, and golf; world-renowned art museums and thriving arts scene; terrific restaurants; and year-round events there is something to appeal to everyone.
- Identifies trends and newsworthy developments in the region with a statewide interest and relevance.
- Manages the beat by recognizing top priorities, communicates effectively with editor and other beat reporters as needed.
- Researches, writes, reports, edits, and voices radio stories weekly for morning and afternoon news magazines. Provides soundbites, wraps and voicers for hourly newscasts. Expected to join Colorado Matters’ host on air with updates and debriefs as needed as well as providing debriefs with news magazine hosts.
- Coordinates, writes and produces digital content with the features editor and digital team. This person is expected to take photographs on assignment, tweet from the field and provide explainer material to digital ahead of major developments on the beat.
- Works with editor to engage community members through CPR News social and engagement channels. Monitors Facebook groups, Reddit threads and other social media forums to identify and report relevant stories to CPR’s audience.
- Participates in assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.
View full job description.
Knowledge and competencies:
- Identification with the mission and purpose of Colorado Public Radio.
- Three years journalism experience preferred.
- Broadcast experience preferred, public radio experience ideal.
- Experience covering military is beneficial.
- High-level writing and editing skills, demonstrated ability to identify key developments and distill complex matters.
- Self-starter who is able to work and communicate with a remote editor.
Position is based in Colorado Springs or elsewhere in the region and requires working non-standard hours and some travel.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, three examples of reported stories, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with "Colorado Springs Regional Reporter" in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.