Title: Editor-in-Chief, Religion News Service LLC
Location: New York City or Washington, D.C. preferred
Salary: $110,000 to $120,000, plus competitive benefits
Religion News Service (RNS) seeks an experienced and talented Editor-in-Chief (EIC) to lead an award-winning team of journalists at the world’s only nonprofit news site and syndication service devoted to unbiased, nonsectarian coverage of religion, spirituality, ethics and culture.
The EIC shapes and coordinates day-to-day production of breaking news, investigative projects, features, commentary, photos and videos for ReligionNews.com and its media partners, including the Associated Press, USA Today and The Washington Post. This position manages a global team of more than two dozen reporters, editors, columnists, photographers and freelancers. The EIC is responsible for all editorial content, including meeting the highest journalistic, legal and ethical standards. The ideal candidate has experience covering religion and managing a multimedia team for a daily news agency.
This is a transformative time for RNS and religion journalism. As the agency expands its staff, coverage and reach, its editorial leader must be passionate about building a thriving nonprofit news organization with a digital-first mindset — dedicated to reporting on the nexus of political, cultural and societal news and trends in today’s fast-changing world.
The EIC is appointed by the RNS Board of Managers and reports to the CEO and Publisher.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Authority and responsibility for all RNS editorial content, including news, commentary and photography.
- Supervision and ongoing development of the RNS editorial team, including reporters, editors, columnists, photographers and freelancers.
- Plan and execute an editorial strategy that grows audiences, leverages multimedia platforms and positions RNS as the leading global source for objective religion news and commentary.
- Identify and recruit talented journalists for the RNS editorial team.
- Work closely with the CEO and Publisher to cultivate media partnerships, ensure fiscal and legal compliance, and execute fundraising strategies, including foundation grants.
- Lead weekly editorial meetings.
- Participate in quarterly RNS Board of Managers meetings.
- Attend Religion News Association annual conference.
- Travel: Up to 25%.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certification, and more than 10 years of daily journalism experience, including breaking stories, covering religion, and editing news and opinion pieces.
- Proven editorial skills. Outstanding command of the English language and AP Style.
- Knowledgeable about a range of belief systems and traditions. Passion for the religion beat and ability to persuade others of its importance and vitality.
- Ability to manage down and lead, evaluate and inspire remote teams of journalists and editorial contributors.
- Ability to manage up and work collaboratively with the RNS CEO and Publisher, Board of Managers and media partners.
- Multitasker and strategic thinker who can map out a long-term editorial strategy while project-managing a set of daily goals involving diverse contributors and content types, schedules and deadlines.
- Understanding of web analytics, social media metrics and search engine optimization. Facebook and Twitter skills required; Basecamp and Slack experience a plus.
- Willingness to embrace change, seek out and adapt to feedback.
- Intellectual curiosity and a continuous learning mindset, including a demonstrated enthusiasm for exploring new digital storytelling techniques to build audiences.
- Strong network of potential freelancers and sources.
- Excellent sense of humor.
Religion News Service LLC is an equal opportunity employer, affiliated with Religion News Foundation and the University of Missouri’s School of Journalism.
Apply by Monday, June 18, 2018, via the URL below under Contact Information.