Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
Courier Journal in Louisville seeks an inspirational, results-driven news director to guide our newsroom in producing powerful journalism that effects change and builds audience. This position reports directly to the executive editor and plays a key role leading day-to-day operations of the newsroom. He or she will direct two editors who together oversee 14 news reporters, and will also directly supervise two news reporters.
The news director helps shape and execute Courier Journal’s strategic vision for digital audience growth. The ideal candidate will have a track record of guiding innovative daily and enterprise work. He or she will love to coach other editors and reporters, setting high standards, elevating the quality of our journalism and increasing audience engagement. He or she also will be well-versed in using metrics to inform beats, platform choices and social media strategies.
Knowledge And Skills
- Ability to coach reporters and editors in sophisticated storytelling techniques
- Sharp news judgment
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Experience leading quick-turn enterprise off the news of the day
- Experience with public records and databases
- Expert knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure digital audience reach and impact
- Self-motivation and self-direction
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals
- Ability to work effectively across all divisions, including sales and marketing, to help set and execute audience and revenue growth strategies
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct
Courier Journal is a 10-time Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization in a metro area known for its internationally recognized chefs and restaurants; vibrant music scene, including the Forecastle music festival; world-class bourbon distilleries; and Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. The quality of life is sky-high and the cost of living is impressively low.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status. Connect with us on LinkedIn , Twitter , Facebook , Glassdoor , Indeed & TheMuse to learn more about our dynamic company culture!