The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks a videojournalist with a history of successful television and online video storytelling to join its Health and Science team as a newsperson, based in Washington. Reporting to the Health and Science Editor, this videojournalist will produce both quick-turnaround video packages as well as longer-term distinctive enterprise in video for AP’s broadcast, digital and mobile customers and platforms. As a member of a dynamic, round-the-clock operation that covers Health and Science across the globe, the successful candidate must also contribute reporting in other media formats — including text, photos and audio — to help produce a competitive and comprehensive all-formats news report. This visual journalist will be involved in every stage of story production, including coordinating logistics, occasional shooting, producing voiced and unvoiced packages, and creating edits aimed at mobile and social media audiences. This newsperson should have experience and knowledge of health and science topics, and must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
· have superior technical skills in video, including shooting and editing, voice-overs, lighting and audio, in both static environments and the chaos of breaking news.
· have strong grammar and writing skills, and a knowledge of AP style, both for scripts, story summaries, shotlists and news stories.
· recognize strong news stories and visualize information in compelling ways in video, all under deadline pressure.
· conceptualize and implement creative digital projects and communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other digital platforms.
· have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
· maintain AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
· train and educate all staff on video reporting skills, and attend or participate in any required training.
Qualifications: Candidates must possess advanced individual technical skills in the creation of video content, as well as the ability to work within an all-formats team to apply those skills from start to finish on breaking news and short- and long-term projects. Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills, including the ability to prioritize work, are a must, as is strong news judgment and a quick reaction — at all hours — to breaking news. The successful candidate should have at least two years of full-time news experience as a video-focused reporter and/or editor at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
· Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
· Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
· Advanced-level professional competency in video shooting and non-linear editing is required.
· Demonstrated experience with Adobe Premiere or comparable non-linear editing system, knowledge of Adobe After Effects and the ability to create simple graphics.
· Experience in adept use of multiple social media platforms and a willingness to experiment with visual storytelling.
· Outstanding communications skills, including the ability to cooperate with and direct reporters and editors remotely.
Application period ends at 11:59PM EST on April 21, 2018
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
To apply, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/Washington-NewspersonVideo-Journalist-DC-20005-4076/466518200/