The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
The Associated Press seeks an aggressive reporter with a commitment to accountability reporting to join its Fact Check and news verification team as a newsperson on a nine-month temporary assignment, based in Chicago, Il.
Reporting to the Fact Check News Editor, this newsperson will identify false and misleading reporting, including that which is trending online; will research the facts behind such reporting; and write stories that correct the record on deadline. The successful candidate will be comfortable working in multiple media formats, including with user-generated content, and will help develop forensic tools that help AP understand who is behind suspected false stories trending online. This temporary newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated history of successful reporting, with a record of compelling work on deadline.
- Work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver accountability-focused reporting that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have demonstrated excellence as a journalist, with a record of delivering distinctive spot news and accountability-focused stories. Applicants must be able to explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team, and should have at least two years of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
Application Deadline: 04/19/2018 @ 11:59 p.m. EST
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
To apply, please go to https://careers.ap.org/job/Chicago-Temporary-Newsperson-IL-60290/465823000/