The Connecticut Mirror is seeking an Executive Editor to shape and direct news strategy and manage day-to-day news coverage that advances our mission.
The mission of The Connecticut Mirror is to increase the level of civic engagement among the state’s residents so that they can more effectively participate in the development of public policy and hold public officials accountable for understanding and addressing the state’s needs. Successfully advancing this mission will result in more informed and politically engaged residents, greater transparency in policy-making, and a stronger democracy.
The Executive Editor will build on the success of The Connecticut Mirror’s first eight years to take the organization to the next level of growth, innovation, and leadership among Connecticut media. Most broadly, the Executive Editor will provide more Connecticut residents with more access to more topics in more parts of the state. Specific priorities include a) striking the right balance between daily stories that maximize readership and enterprise stories that explain complex policy topics, b) accelerating the pace of innovation in CT Mirror’s news product, c) providing opportunities for staff to further develop their policy and journalism expertise, and d) bringing more diverse voices to CT Mirror reporting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Sets overall news strategy to advance The Connecticut Mirror’s mission.
- Champions innovation in idea development, story presentation, operational processes, and reader engagement.
- Supervises and is responsible for the work of all news staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Develops story ideas with staff and assigns, plans, manages and edits all CT Mirror daily, enterprise, and investigative stories.
- Manages full-time and freelance staff, including facilitating greater collaboration, coordination, communication, and innovation among staff.
- Actively mentors, guides, and provides opportunities for staff to learn, grow, and develop policy and journalistic expertise.
- Partners with the Publisher to:
- Shape the aspirations of the organization and strategize about how to achieve those aspirations, in partnership with the Board of Directors.
- Develop opportunities for which The Mirror can seek funding, while maintaining editorial independence.
- Create and manage reader engagement initiatives.
- Identify reporting partnerships with local and national news organizations.
- Manage human resources and news budgets.
- Hire aspiring journalists for internships and fellowships.
- Strategically manages story and feature placement and flow in the news well of The Mirror website.
- Manages and grows reporting partnerships.
- Hires additional reporters, as needed and within budget, with input from news staff and Publisher.
- Collaborates with Publisher on social media and SEO strategy. Manages all aspects of CT Mirror news content on social media (currently Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and driving SEO.
- Provides input to Publisher into branding, marketing and promotion strategies for all news content.