The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Communications Director, Making Change at Walmart to conceptualize, develop and implement the Making Change at Walmart Campaign’s strategic media outreach program to amplify and support campaign objectives. This professional position supports the Making Change at Walmart Campaign and collaborates with other departments and offices to ensure validity and continuity in UFCW’s messaging. This position supervises staff.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Functions as the campaign spokesperson through the media and leads the preparation for workers and union leaders for contact with the news media.
- Collaborates with various UFCW department directors and UFCW Officers to provide direction to the campaign and develop long and short-term media outreach strategy.
- Aggressively develops relationships with local, regional and national media contacts to amplify the campaign’s message and worker actions for UFCW members, the public, consumers and allies.
- Creates, develops, researches and manages the campaign media communications and keeps the messaging and branding consistent with UFCW’s vision.
- Creates and manages the preparation of talking points, op-eds, background pieces, fact sheets, press kit materials, website content, blog posts and other materials.
- Manages and participates in the coordination of press conferences and other public events to garner media coverage for the campaign.
- Supervises professional and support staff as assigned by the Campaign Director.
- Develops relationships with staff at all levels of the organization.Interfaces professionally with external groups that have mutual interest.
- Trains and coaches workers, members, and staff in media skills.
- Contributes to staff strategy meetings, and stays current on substantive and political developments.
• B.A. degree in a relevant discipline. Equivalent experience may be substituted. Minimum of eight years media relations, writing, editing, and producing of campaign materials. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage work and supervise others.
• Extensive experience in cultivating media contacts and relationships. Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media.
• Experience developing and implementing media and campaign strategy. Basic knowledge of design and four-color printing process.
• Knowledge of word processing, publishing software programs and on-line communications.
• Must have a rolodex of national and regional media contacts.
• Strategic thinking, creativity and decision-making ability.
• Meticulous attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines are essential.
• Problem-solving skills, political judgment, ability to delegate work, and follow-through are also essential.
Duration: Full time. Posting closes when position is filled.
To apply submit cover letter and resume to: https://www.dcjobs.com/j/21816046