TITLE: Director of Poynter Online
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried
REPORTS TO: President
OVERALL JOB RESPONSIBILITY
Poynter.org has become a world presence in information about news media through the tenures of two smart, creative site leaders. Now we are looking for the third director of Poynter.org to build on what works and guide in new directions.
The position calls for managing a respected website and Poynter’s other publishing activities as well as maximizing revenue potential and contributing to Poynter’s overall leadership objectives.
• Leads editorial and business initiatives for Poynter.org. Establishes and directs the website’s news-gathering strategy, and upholds its high standards for accuracy, fairness and service to our constituents.
• Works with the President and other Institute leaders to further develop Poynter.org’s support for the Institute’s fund-raising efforts, professional development programs and public events.
• Develops and implements Poynter’s future online strategies, including the growth of digital revenue, improved use of social media and mobile, and the expansion of Poynter’s audience for web-based teaching.
• Supervises and develops the online staff and helps diversify Poynter.org's sources and contributor base.
• Regularly edits Poynter.org stories and writes for the site, as needed.
• Serves the President as a member of the Institute Strategy committee.
• Assists the Dean in Poynter’s various initiatives, including occasional teaching.
• Collaborates with Poynter faculty, staff and administration and Foundation leaders as an editor and coach to develop their publishing initiatives in various outlets.
• Other duties as assigned by the President.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The President is responsible for monitoring the Director of Poynter Online’s progress and performance and will conduct annual performance reviews. There is considerable latitude in the way and order in which tasks are accomplished.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Direct supervision of Managing Editor of Poynter.org, online news staff and Advertising Account Manager.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
INTERNAL: The Director of Poynter Online has daily contact with colleagues in the online area. He or she has frequent contact with the President, the Dean of Faculty and other members of the Institute Strategy group. The director also has frequent contact with faculty and other staff of the Institute.
EXTERNAL: The Director of Poynter Online has regular contact with journalists and news executives from around the country and, to a lesser extent, overseas.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS: A bachelor’s degree is required for this position. Incumbent must have knowledge of (and skill in) the practice of journalism in general and online publishing in particular. It is also important for the Director of Poynter Online to have knowledge of the history and practices on all media platforms.
PROBLEM SOLVING/DECISION MAKING: Like most editorial roles, this position demands a facility with lots of little decisions throughout the day as well as some bigger ones from time to time. It’s important that the person in this job be familiar with the ethical decision-making process taught in Poynter ethics seminars and the various leadership and decision-making styles taught in leadership seminars.
BUSINESS MEASURES: The business responsibilities of the person in this position have grown significantly with the addition of advertising and job listings to Poynter Online and with the Institute’s increased focus on revenue.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Primarily sedentary, as bulk of tasks is performed at the computer and answering and placing telephone calls. Physical requirements include: ability to see and perceive colors in order to proofread, edit on paper and onscreen, and create and view graphics. Requires the ability to manipulate fingers to operate computer keyboard and mouse.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Duties are performed in a temperature controlled, non-smoking office environment. There are routine deadlines, disruptive work schedules and unpredictable events. On occasion, incumbent may be required to travel on behalf of the Institute.
Salary depends on qualifications. No phone calls, please. EOE.
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is March 15, 2013.